TRM is Europe’s largest manufacturer and distributor of Nutritional Feeds Supplements and General Healthcare products for Horses.
TRM is located in Newbridge, not far from the Curragh, Co. Kildare IRELAND. The Curragh has been the centre of horse racing in Ireland for many centuries, and the world famous race track there is home to the Irish Derby, Oaks, Gunieas and St. Ledger. It is also conveniently located adjacent to Horse Racing Ireland, the administrative body for the industry in Ireland, The Turf Club – the regulatory body for the industry in Ireland, and famous trainers such as Dermot Weld, 2 time Melbourne Cup Winner with Vintage Crop and Media Puzzle, and John Oxx, trainer of the wonder horse Sea the Stars.
TRM stands for “Thoroughbred Remedies Manufacturing Ltd.” and indeed prior to the Company’s formation its founder Mr. Larry Masterson worked both in the racing yard of Mr. Noel Chance, and in the world famous Airlie Stud Farm. However as the business developed globally, and the company became involved in many other disciplines such as Showjumping, Dressage, Three Day Eventing, Trotting, Endurance, Western, Arabian Showing and Carriage Driving, the name was abbreviated to TRM.
TRM was established in 1989 due to a perceived shortage in the market of quality nutritional supplements targeted at specific deficit conditions in performance horses. For 5 years prior to that date it’s Managing Director, Mr. Larry Masterson had already established Ireland’s leading distributor of Equine Healthcare Products TRI (Thoroughbred Remedies Ireland Ltd.) However while there were a considerable number of general Vitamin and Mineral Feed Supplements on the market, there was a shortage of products targeted at specific conditions relating to Joint Mobility, Bone Strength, Muscle Building, Anti-oxidants, Electrolytes, Bleeder Remedies and Products for Hoof Condition. With the help of his father Prof. Joseph Masterson, Professor of Medical Genetics at University College Dublin, Medical Director of Leo Laboratories, and Co-Founder and President of Elan Corporation ( one of the world’s leading human pharmaceutical development companies), a science based company was established in Co. Kildare with the sole aim of improving Equine Nutrition. In 2003 Larry Masterson became Chairman of the Company, and was joined by his brother Raoul, previously Sales and Marketing Manager of Bimeda – Ireland’s largest Manufacturer of Veterinary Pharmaceutical Products, as Managing Director.
From humble beginnings the company has now become an industry leader, with sales to over 60 countries around the globe. Major markets include USA, Canada, Uruguay, South Africa, Ireland, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Scandanavia, Turkey, The Middle East, Iran, Russia, India, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong.
TRM manufactures and distributes it’s product range from its 25,000 sq purpose built factory. Facilities include state of the art logistics warehouses, solid dosage manufacturing of powders and pellets, as well as liquid and paste form products. The company was the first in its industry sector to be accredited with an EU Manufacturer’s License granted under the EU Feed Hygiene Legislation. In addition the company operates the HACCP food safety system. Quality is at the core of TRM’s success and in addition to normal chemical and microbiological testing, any materials of natural or botanical origin are also subjected to testing at an FEI accredited Laboratory to ensure the absence of naturally occurring contaminants prohibited under the rules of equine competition.
TRM’s mission is to “maximise horses athletic performance by targeting their specific nutritional and hygienic needs.” To this end it has continually invested in product research and development, using a panel of Veterinary Surgeons, Nutritionists, Pharmacists, and Horse Trainers. Notable recent product introductions include Calphormin, which has been clinically proven in trials in France to reduce the incidence of Osteochondrosis lessions in young horses. The recently introduced GNF Pellets, and GNF Paste have been clinically proven to reduce the incidence of Gastric Ulcers in Performance Horses, and the study was accepted for presentation at both the Equine Nutrition Conference in Vienna, and the World Equine Veterinary Association Congress in Moscow.
TRM Sponsored Riders and Ambassadors
The proof of TRM’s success is in the caliber of the Horsemen and Women who are proud to use and endorse the product range. The company’s ultimate accolade is the success of clients using their product globally. Among TRM sponsored riders, and Ambassadors are
- Jim Bolger – Ireland’s leading Flat Racehorse Trainer
- Donal McCain – Leading Trainer of National Hunt Horses in the UK
- Lady Caroline Warren – Breeder of Camelot – winner of 2012 Irish and English Derbys
- Janika Sprunger – Europe’s leading female showjumper and winner of numerous CSI5*
- Willie Mullins – Ireland’s leading National Hunt racehorse Trainer
- Sam Griffiths – International Three Day Event Rider. 2014 winner of Badminton Horse Trials.
- Oliver Townend – UK International Three Day Eventer
- Denis Lynch – Leading Irish International Showjumper
- Steve Guerdat – Gold Medallist in the 2012 Olympics
- Cian O Connor – Bronze Medallist in the 2012 Olympics
- Reed Kessler – Team USA Showjumper
- Pius Schwizer – Leading Swiss International Showjumper
- Eddie Woods – Leading US consignor of race horses
- Luke Tomlinson – Captain of the English Polo Team
- Katarina Offel – Winner of 2012 Global Champions Tour
- Greg Eurell – Australian Racehorse Trainer. Trainer of $1.8million Cox Plate winner Pinker Pinker.
- Mirko Piazzi – Leading Italian Reiner
- Dan Neilson – Top International British Showjumper
- Shane Rose – Australian Three Day Eventer
- Conor Swail – Irish International Showjumper based in Canada
- Stefano Brecciaroli – Italian Three Day Eventer
- Cristiano Cividini – Italian Driving Champion
- Matthew Wright – UK Three Day Eventer
- Millie and Pippa Allen – Leading Female UK Showjumpers
- Peter Flarup – Danish Three Day Eventer
- Judy Harvey – International Dressage Rider and Judge
- Kai Steffen Meier – German International Eventer
Ongoing sponsorship activities
The company recognizes it’s responsibilities to the Equine World and is involved in many ongoing sponsorship activities, including the following.
- Sponsorship of the Premier Series – Ireland’s leading showjumping competition
- Sponsorship of the National Grand Prix Series in Ireland
- Race Sponsorship in the UK ( Newmarket and Doncaster), Ireland (The Curragh), India, Slovakia, Poland, Uruguay and the Czech Republic
- Sponsor of the Balkan Jumping Championships in Greece
- Sponsor at Bolesworth CSI4**** in the United Kingdom
- Sponsor at the Toscana Tour, Arezzo, Italy
- Major funder of the All Ireland Riding Clubs annual competitions
- Official Supplier of Nutritional Supplements to TEAM IRELAND
- Supplier of Canine Supplements to Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind
- Sponsorship of the Greek Junior Series Showjumping Competitions
- Sponsor of “Trainer of the Month” Award for the European Trainers Federation
- Sponsor of “Breeder of the Month” in Owner and Breeder Magazine.
TRM, with it’s sister company TRI, and UK Subsidiary Equine Products UK Ltd. continue to invest in the latest science to fulfill their corporate goal, and have become synonymous with Quality Equine Healthcare globally.